It was one of the days when my husband ; out of the blue moon,announced the arrival of guests at home for dinner. I was at a fix at what to cook which is simple yet yummy . And i just did not feel like repeating any chicken dish i’ve ever cooked. That’s when an old memory flashed into my mind where we had eaten a dish called ” CHICKEN DO PYASA” in a Punjabi restaurant in Bangalore. There was something very satisfying about that dish and I’m sure that’s why after so many years, the memory of the dish was so clear in my mind. I decided to just go ahead with Chicken do pyasa that night.Thanks to Vahchef for the recipe and i’ve made my own little changes in it .The dish came out to be lip smacking and so i decided to add step by step cooking procedure of the dish here along with ingredients.
Chicken Do pyasa originates from Persia and further evolved in Hyderabad and became a staple dish of Hyderabadi Cuisine.So why not serve my guests tonight in a “Nawabi Andaaz” ;). The recipe is noted down here for my dear readers. “Enjoy Kar re. Kaiko time waste karti?” 😀
Preparation time 20 minutes
Ingredient Measure Units
Chicken 500 g.
Oil 4 TBSP.
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp.
Onion 2 big
Tomato – 1 big
Salt to taste
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Ginger garlic Paste 1/2 tsp
Yoghurt 1/2 cup
Chilli powder 1 tsp ( I used red chilli paste instead of powder. To make that you need to boil whole red chillies in water and once cooked make a fine paste in mixie.)
Coriander powder 1/2 tspCumin powder 1/2 tsp
Green chilli 3 Number
Dry red chilli 4 Number
Garam masala 1 tsp
Coriander leaves 1/2 Bunch
Lime juice 1 tsp
( 1.Cut one onion into squares and the other chop finely, 2. Mix chilli powder or ground red chilli and turmeric powder in curd).Keep aside.
1. Heat the oil in a vessel and add cumin seeds to it. Add finely chopped onion and saute till golden brown. Be careful not to burn onions.
2.Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 3 minutes on slow flame.
3. Add chopped tomatoes to the pan and mix well. Once this mixture leaves oil , you can add the curd mixed with masalas you had already kept aside.Mix well and cook on high flame for 2 minutes.
4.Add coriander powder and green chillies and mix well.
5. Now you can add the chicken pieces along with salt to taste. Mix well and cook the meat covered with lid.
5. Once chicken is 3/4 th cooked, add the squared onions to it. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Open the lid and add lime juice and garam masala in to the dish. Do not cook after this step.
5. Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan and add red chillies to it.Garnish with coriander leaves. Use these red chillies for seasoning. Enjoy the Nawabi dish with Roti, Naan or plain rice.