Kadala curry cooked in Kerala style can be a wonderful accompaniment for rice , roti or Puttu.It is cooked in a coconut based gravy which offers a great satistaction for your taste buds.
Recipe (Kadala curry)
Black gram – 250 gm
Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
red chilli pdr – 1/2 tbsp
coriander pdr – 1 tbsp
Garam masala/ Meat masala – 1 tsp
coriander leaves – For garnish
Curry leaves – 2 strands
Onion – 1 big (finely chopped)
Tomato – 1 small(finely chopped)
ginger – 1/2 inch piece
1. Soak black gram over night or for 8 hours.
2. Cook the soaked kadala in a cooker . Add 1 1/2 cups of water, turmeric powder, salt in the cooker along with the kadala.Wait for 5 whistles and then simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Now let’s prepare the masala.
a. Heat 2 tbsp of any oil ( preferably virgin coconut oil) in a pan. Add half of the finely chopped ginger to it.Once the ginger leaves a nice fried flavour, add finely chopped onions to it. Mix well until the colour of the onion turns golden brown. Now add red chilli powder and coriander pdr. Saute well for 2 minutes.Add i strand of curry leaves to it.
b. Now it’s the time to grind this masala in a mixer with 1/4 cup of water to a fine paste.Keep this ground masala aside. Now let’s grind coconut and cumine seeds to a fine paste.
c. Add the ground masala paste to the already boiled kadala in the cooker. Mix gently and on high flame, bring it to boil.Now reduce the heat and add the ground coconut and cumin paste to the gravy and mix gently . Bring it to boil . Stir continuously .Add garam masala now.Now let it simmer for 3 minutes. Add the remaining curry leaf strand and coriander leaves to it.
4. Transfer the kadala curry which is ready now in the cooker to a serving dish.
5. For seasoning, heat 1 tbsp oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves to it.Please make sure that the mustard seeds crackle fully.
6. ENJOY this heavenly dish with Puttu, rice or even roti.