Hyderabadis would never serve Biriyani to their guests without this great side dish. It is not even allowed to dream of biriyanis without baingan ka salan in Hyderabad. 🙂 This creamy, tangy slightly sweet and spicy gravy enhances the Biriyani experience.Recipe is given below.
Wanna learn how to make Hyderabadi Baingan ka salan , Mirch ka salan? click on the links for more recipes.
Hyderabadi Baingan ka salan
Prep time 1 hr
Peanuts 1 1/2 tb
Sesame seeds 1 1/2 tb
Grated fresh Coconut 1 1/2 tb
Ghee 4 tb ( Or any oil you prefer)
Mustard seeds ¼ ts
Cumin seeds ¼ ts
Methi seeds 1/8 ts
Red chilly 3 n
Ginger garlic paste 1 ts
Curry leaves 2 sp
Cumin powder ½ ts
Coriander powder 1 ts
Chilly powder 1 tb
Onions 1 big
Green chilly 2 n
Coriander chopped ½ tb
Mint chopped ½ tb
Baby brinjals/egg plants 6 nos
Tamarind juice ¼ cup
Jaggery 1 small piece
ts -teaspoon , tb -table spoon , n -number
1.Dry roast peanuts, sesame seeds and coconut in a heated pan till the colour of the coconut turns light brown.Grind this into a paste in a mixie. Use some water for grinding.
2.Heat the oil in a thick bottomed vessel and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, methi seeds ,red chilly and curry leaves to it. Let the seeds crackle.
3. Add chopped onion to the pan and saute till it turns slight brown.
4. Once the onions turn brown, add Ginger garlic paste and saute well. Add turmeric pdr, red chilly pdr & coriander powder . Saute in low flame for 3 minutes.
5.Now add the ground pste to the pan and mix well on high flame for 2 minutes.
6.Add sliced green chillie, chopped coriader and mint leaves to the pan and mix well.
7.Add tamarind juice followed by jaggery and mix well.
8. Add salt & 2 cups of water and let it come to boil once followed by 30 minutes on slow fire.Cover the lid and let it cook slowly.Mix well in between .
9. cut the nod of the bringals frm it’s end and the rest of the nod should remain intact.Slit the brinjal into 4 without seperating it from the nod.Deep fry them. Add these fried brinjals into the gravy and cook covered for 10 minutes.
10. Serve hot with Pulao or Biriyanis.
Click here for more Hyderabadi cuisine recipes.