Malvani cuisine is the standard cuisine of the Konkan region of Maharashtra and Goa, and some northern parts of West Karnataka. Although Malvani cuisine is predominantly non-vegetarian, there are many vegetarian delicacies. Although it is an independent cuisine, it overlaps Maharashtrian cuisine and Goan cuisine. Malvan is a town in the Sindhudurg district on the west coast of Maharashtra. Malvan being a coastal area in Konkan, it has its own distinct way of cooking food. Malvani cuisine uses coconut liberally in various forms such as grated, dry grated, fried, coconut paste and coconut milk.Murgh Hirwa Masala is a speciality of Malvani cuisine. It’s flavourful and delicious!
Prepration time 30 minutes
Chicken (medium-sized pieces)- 800 gms
ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
green chillies – 4 to 5 ( depends on how spicy you want the dish to be )
freshly scraped coconut – 1/2 cup
coriander leaves – 1 cup
ginger – 1/2 inch piece
green cardamom – 3 nos
Black cardamom – 3 nos
Bay leaves – 2
Cinnamon stick – 1
cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Onions finely chopped – 1 big
water – 3/4 cup
thick coconut milk – 1 cup
garam masala – 1 tbsp
salt – to taste
oil – 1/2 cup
You may even like Grilled chicken recipes in different spices. Hyderabadi Dum chicken is from the Nizam’s cuisine.
1. Marinate the chicken pieces in some salt and ginger garlic paste.Keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Grind coriander leaves,coconut,ginger and green chillies to a smooth paste in a mixie. This is the green masala.
3. Heat some oil in a wok/Kadai . Add finely chopped onions and saute till the onions are pink and sweating. Now add green masala into it and saute for 2 to 3 minutes on medium flame. Add chicken pieces and continue to saute. Add water and salt now.Mix very well and saute for couple of minutes more.Cover and cook till the chicken pieces are nicely cooked.
4. Now add coconut milk and garam masala into the kadai.Mix and saute for few seconds and switch off the flame. Avoid boiling after coconut milk is added into the gravy.
4. Garnish with fresh cream and coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice ,roti or any bread.Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting. Please drop in your thoughts about this dish ! 🙂