Succulent shrimps cooked with aromatic rice ! No better words to describe Hyderabadi prawn dum biriyani. I wish i was a mermaid who has a beautiful well equipped kitchen in the deep blue sea.I would keep relishing all sea creatures one by one every day,every meal. Thank your stars that it’s only my dream, not reality. Otherwise, what would u eat sea food lovers? If my dream was a reality, your sea food cravings will always remain as a dream only. 😀
Let’s see how to cook this osm dish!
step 1 Making the garam masala for Biriyani.
Ingredients for garam masala
Dry roast and powder the below mentioned masalas in a mixie.
Shahi jeera – 1 tbsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tbsp
Cardamom – 4 nos
Cloves – 5
Cinnamon – 4 inch stick
step 2 Marination of prawns.
Marinate the prawns with all these ingradients.30 minutes
Prawns – 500 gm ( Dewained and washed thoroughly)
Salt – to taste
Turmeric pdr – 1 tsp
Red chilli pdr – 1 tbsp
Biriyani masala ( You had already powdered in the mixie) – 2 tbsp
Fried onions – One hand full
Green chillies – 2 to 3
Lime juice – Of a big lemon
Mint and coriander leaves finely chopped – 1/2 bunch each.
Yogurt/Curd – 1 1/2 cup
Rub all these ingredients into the prawns with your lovely fingers. 🙂
Step 3 Cooking the rice
Basmati rice – 2 cups (Washed and soaked for 30 minutes)
water – 4 cups
Fried onions – 2 hands full
Ghee/oil – 4 tbsp. ( you can even use the oil you used for frying onions. But make sure you are not reheating the oil from normal temperature.)
Take 4 cups water in a vessel. Add 2 tbsp oil into the water . Now add, some chopped mint & coriander leaves,2cloves, 4 cardamoms, 1 cinnamaaon stick, 2star anise, 1/2 tsp shahi jeera, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, Bay leaves – 2 and the remaining biriyani masala.Add salt to taste.When the water comes to a boil on high flame , add the soaked rice. Switch off the flame once the rice is 3/4 th cooked. now this rice should not be kept for too long . Make sure you proceed to the next step immediately.
step 4 Layering
Take a thick bottomed vessel/ Biriyani pot and add 2 tbsp of oil into it. Add the marinated prawns with all it’s juices into this oil. This will be the first layer.
Using a perforated spoon, take the 3/4 th cooked rice one spoon after the other and keep adding on top of the prawns layer.Do not drain the water completely as the rice should contain moisture. Add some mint and coriander leaves. Add fried onions on the top most layer . Add cashews if u like (optional).
Cover the lid and seal it with dough for best results.cook for 3 minutes on high flame followed by 15 minute on low flame.Open the lid and experience heaven. 🙂
1. In the step 4, if u feel that, biriyani should be a little more salty, go ahead and sprinkle some salt water. Dilute more salt in 1/2 cup water and sprinkle wisely.
2. I add lemon juice after opening the lid as it gives a tangy taste to the rice.
Do not forget to let me know ur feed back by ur likes and comments here! 🙂
What to cook today ? It’s a half day for kids and they will be back home at lunch time. Not in a mood to cook traditional rice,dal and sabzi. Why not make a veg pulao which is cooked in mild spices and healthy veggies? So, i decided to cook veg pulao . Needless to say, kids loved it as i was expecting! 🙂
Basmati rice – 2 cups
water – 3 3/4 cups
green peas – 1 cup
carrots chopped – 1 cup
beans chopped – 1 cup
potato- i big ( cut into big pieces)
mint leaves- 1/2 bunch
coriander leaves -1/2 bunch
green chillies- 3 to 4
red chilly pdr – 1 tsp
curd/yogurt – 1 cup ( Not sour)
ghee/oil- 5 tbsp
ginger garlic pate- 1 tbsp
For garam masala
Pepper corns – 2
green Cardamom – 4
black cardamom – 2
Cloves – 5
Cinnamon – 1.5 inch stick
1. Dry roast all the whole gram masalas on a heated pan.Grind them in a mixie to a fine powder. (You may use ready made pulao masala also instead of this step.)
2. Soak rice in the vessel in which you need to make the pulao .( 2 CUPS RICE IN 3 3/4 CUPS WATER)
3.Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add the chopped onions ,bay leaves and saute for 3 minutes.Add the ginger -garlic-green chilly paste and saute for 2 minutes. Add the yogurt now.Add the chopped veggies to it along wit salt and 1/2 a cup of water. . Saute for 2 minute.Do not cook the veggies too much here as it will be cooked again along with rice.When the vegetables are mixed well, add the ground mint and coriander leaves and stir fry till the raw smell vanishes.You may add the red chilli pdr and the ground garam masala pdr now and saute well.
4. Add this veggie along with masala into the soaked rice.Check the salt and balance it according to your taste.Cover and cook on high flame for 3 to 4 minutes followed by 15 minutes of cooking on low flame.Your rice is ready.
5. Garnish with roasted cashewnuts and mint leaves.
Serve this hot with any cool raita! Enjoy!
Couple of months back, i was interacting with some cute little tiny tots at a function. One of them recited a lovely little poem on mattar (peas) to me. It goes like this.
” Mattar ki phali mein chaar the daane
Ek tha natkhat teen syane
Natkhat phali se nikalkar bhaaga
Chidiya ne choch maari tab woh jaga”
So this poem talks about the four peas in the pod. I like the naughty one which was running away from the pod to explore the world. But what to do? If i ilke it, i need to boil and cook it. Sorry dear, Somewhere you have to pay the fees for being so naughty!
Here’s the recipe of “peas pulao ” which i cooked using one cup of extremely naughty peas.Try out and enjoy. It’s a healthy lunch box item for your naughty sweethearts who goes to school.
prep time – 15 minutes
Fresh green peas – 1 cup
Basmati rice – 1/2 cup
ghee/oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
garlic crushed – 1 tbsp
green chillies – 1 slit
curd- 1/2 cup
red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
garam masala/Pulao masala – 1 tspn
salt- to taste
onion- 1 small finely chopped
1. Boil green peas in 1/2 cup water and salt to taste in a paste on slow flame.
2. In half a cup of curd, mix red chill pdr and garam masala. keep aside.Cook 1/2 cup basmati rice in 1 cup water and keep aside.
3. Heat ghee/oil in a wok/kadai. Add star anise and green cardamom to the heated ghee. Add chopped onions and saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add crushed garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add green chillies now and mix well
5. Now add the curd mixed with masala which is already kept aside into the wok. Mix well. Now add the cooked peas and saute for a minute.
6.Now goes in the cooked basmati rice.Mix gently. Check the salt. Cover and cook on slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes
7. Enjoy your peas pulao hot with cool raita.
It’s Sunday and we have no plans of going out today. Wanna relax at home yet have a delicious lunch too.Aaru, my younger son is a big fan of Biriyanis and had been demanding a home cooked Biriyani for the past few days.Some how i had forgotten about this and cooked a sambar, veggie and rice meal in the morning as my parents- in law were also at home and dad always preferrs a veg meal. Aaru woke up by 11 am and came to kitchen. The smell of veggies took all the glow away from his fresh morning face as he was hoping for a sunday Biriyani. But seeing his disappointment i decided to go ahead with the Biriyani as i felt sorry for my forgetfulness.The next problem to deal with was getting some chicken. Home delivery guy did not pick up the call. So i decided to drive to the local market on my scooty. I always prefer driving a car than a 2 wheeler as i feel’ I can never fall from a car but will surely fall down to the road from a scooty”. Anyways, i gathered courage and started my Biriyani chicken shopping trip.While i was driving back home with the nicely cut chicken pieces, i felt so happy as if i counquered Himalayas.
Back home, i started my preparation for Biriyani. I’m sure you will also like this quick and easy Biriyani on a Sunday. Noting down my recipe here for u guys. Enjoy!
Preparation time 45 minutes
Basmati rice – 3 cups
chicken pieces (medium sized) – 1 kg
onions – 4 big
ginger paste -3 tbsp
garlic paste- 2 tbsp
green chilli paste – 1 tbsp
turmeric pdr – 1 tspn
red chilli pdr – 2 1/2 tbsp
garam masala pdr – 1 tbsp
lemon- 1 big
curd – 1 cup
cashew nuts- 50 gm
Raisins- 30 gm
mint leaves- 1 bunch
coriander leaves- 1 bunch
oil- any oil u prefer
ghee- 100 gm
saffron – 2 pinch
milk- 1/2 cup
1. Take a bowl and add chicken pieces to it. Add 2 tbsp ginger paste, 1 tbsp garlic paste, green chilli paste and 1 tspn red chilli pdr to the chicken and mix well
2. Now ad lime juice, curd and finely chopped mint and coriander leaves to the bowl.
3. Add i tsp ghee and One fried onion ( Dark brown ) to the bowl.
Rub all these ingradients very well into the chicken with your hand.
You can see how the marinated chicken will look like in the pic given below.
Now let’s cook the rice for Biriyani.( 1.You need to soak the rice for 20 minutes and drain it out. Keep asidethe drained rice 2. For cooking rice, you need to add 1 1/2 cup of warm water for 1 cup rice )
1.Heat a thick bottomed flat vessel on high flame. Add 2 tbsp ghee into the vessel. To the ghee, add green cardamoms, black cardamom, bay leaves, cinnamon and cloves .You may even dry roast and then powder them instead of using as whole masalas if you don’t like them coming in your mouth .
2. Now add the soaked and drained rice to the ghee and saute for 3 to 4 minutes on high flame.
3. Now add warm water to the rice .
4. Add salt to taste. (Make sure you are adding enough salt as Biriyani will not taste good if it’s not properly salted to your taste.)
5. Cook on high flame for initial 3 minutes and then on low flame till the rice is 3/4th cooked. Do not cook the rice to eatable state as it would create a mess or a mash later.
6. Keep the rice cooked and ready.
Now let’s deal with the chicken curry.
1. Heat a Kadai and add 2 finely chopped onions to it. (you can even use packed ready to use fried onions which is easily available in the market).
2. Now add 2 chopped tomatoes to it and mix well.
3. Now add the remaining Ginger , garlic paste and saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add turmeric pdr, Red chilli pdr and garam masala to the Kadai and mix well on high flame for 2 minutes.
5. Now you can add the marinated chicken to the kadai and cook on high flame for 3 minutes and simmer for 10 minutes. Make sure the meat is cooked well.
6. The chicken curry which we are going to use in layering the biriyani is now ready.
Now it’s the time for layering the rice and meat and and allow it to be cooked and mixed very well in it’s own juices which will be released while on Dum .
1.Take another thick bottomed flat vessel and make the first layer with the cooked rice.Pour some saffron milk on the rice.
2.The second layed will be fried onions and Chicken curry .Add a little saffron milk to it.
3. Now add another layer of cooked rice on top of the second layer.Add some more saffron milk and fried onions.
4. Now let’s seal the vessel with some dough.
5. Keep the flame on high for the first 4 minutes and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Enjoy the inviting fragrance of the Biriyani and treat your neighbour with a portion of your wonderful dum Biriyani who’s having a tough time hiding their watering mouths from you.;)
7. Serve the hot biriyani with a cool serving of curd mixed will finely chopped onions, green chillies and tomatoes or any Raita.