Nostalgia : A sentiment or a wistful yearning for the happiness felt in a former time ,place or situation.
Nostalgia is always connected deeply to food memories…atleast in my case. Every dish I cook on a special day or in a special mood definitely has some emotions behind it. I did my graduation from St’Agnes college, Mangalore. So many beautiful memories are still alive and kicking in my mind around Mangalore.The carnivorous me was unlucky to be living in a vegetarian hostel. So every Sunday was looked forward for that restaurant visit to relish the non vegetarian delicacies I was missing throughout the week. Mangalore Prawn curry was one of those favorites of mine. I could order it only on Sunday with a full pocket money status. Today I am cooking Yetti Gassi for lunch and my mind is wondering around the giggles and innocence of my friends. I am so glad that many of us are living in the same city now and are able to get together once in a while.
Recipe of Mangalore Prawn curry /Yetti Gassi.
serves 3 to 4
cooking time 20 minutes
level : Medium difficulty
Mangalore special prawn curry.
Spicy and delicious !
Ingredients Marinate 500 gms cleaned prawns in turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp black pepper powder,salt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
10 dried red chillies ..
(less spicy ones…or remove the seeds inside )
5 cloves chopped garlic,
1 inch chopped ginger
one big tomato chopped
1 teaspoon spoon tamarind paste
2 table spoons coconut oil
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
3 green chillies slit
10 curry leaves
one big onion finely chopped
1 cup thick coconut milk
3 table spoons coconut paste ground in mixie using a little water
salt to taste
Watch my video which shows the entire cooking procedure. Click on the link herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlUmz-pihYE&t=69s
How to make Yetti Gassi /Mangalore prawn curry.
- Marinate prawns in salt,turmeric powder and 1/4 tsp black pepper powder.
- Heat 1 table spoon oil in a kadai and fry cumin ,coriander seeds and redchillies.
- Add a little water into the 2. mixture and grind to a smooth paste.4.Add chopped onions,tomatoes,garlic and ginger to the mixer along with the ground paste in the above step.
- Heat 2 table spoon in a wok/kadai and add slit green chillies to it. Now add the ground wet masala 3. into the oil. Add tamarind paste to it. check the salt a.
- Now add the marinated prawns into the kadai .Mix well and check the salt.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes
- Now add coconut paste to it and cook for a minute.
- Add coconut milk and mix well. Once the curry comes to a boil, simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Tempering: Curry is ready . Now heat one tsp oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds to it. Let it crackle and add curry leaves.Add this entire thing to the curry .Mix well and enjoy.Serve with White rice , akki roti or roti .